Right from the moment, the baby comes out of the womb, taking care of newborn becomes the sole responsibility of parents. This is indeed a very difficult task which becomes even more humongous for couples who become parents for the first time. There comes at least one situation in which the parents are clueless about infant child care and keep thinking about what to do next. Because of a relatively weaker immune system, health and hygiene of baby should be a major area of focus for parents. Also, various things such as sleep cycle and the daily routine should also be considered to maintain the baby’s healthy state.
According to pediatricians, every child has unique behavior and temperament. So, parents must try level best to understand their offspring and maintain his/her’s healthy well being.
Taking care of a baby can be classified into two major phases on the basis of child’s age. The first phase is the ‘newborn’ period which starts the moment the baby is born and ends when the baby is around two months of age. Newborn baby care after birth is very important considering the health of the child because, during this phase, a baby is easily prone to harmful microorganisms and diseases. The second one is the ‘infant’ period which is initiated after the newborn phase. The child is said to be in infant phase until he/she reaches the age of 2-3 years.
Care for kids is very essential for the development of baby because it largely influences the well being when he/she advances in age. That is why infant child care is considered as one of the most influential factors in the development of an individual.
Taking care of newborn right after birth is full of delicacy. The newborn should be breastfed for six months after the birth. Doctors and medical experts strictly advice that the baby must rely only on mother’s milk and not even water. Breastfeeding is very essential because mother’s milk contains some special antibodies which cannot be made artificially. It also prevents the baby from catching cold and sinus infection. Besides this, massaging is must step for newborn baby careafter birth. This aids in proper functioning of leg and arms muscles of the baby.
Other little things should also be kept in mind. Here are some tips for taking care of newborn:
- Before taking the baby in your arms, make sure that you’ve washed your hands to minimize the probability of infection.
- Also, if the baby is in your arms then support his/her neck with your palm as newborn babies are not able to maintain a proper balance of their heads when in an upright position.
- Your newborn is not ready for rough play. Do not shake his body (especially head) because it may lead to internal bleeding.
- Parents must ensure approximately 16 hours of sleep for the little one and never wake him/her with a sudden blow. Instead, gently blow her cheeks or rub his/her palms very softly.
- Give the baby a soft and gentle sponge bath. Cover baby’s tummy with a warm cloth to keep the body warmer.A newborn baby is very gentle. Even the slightest mistake may lead to huge consequences. That is why care for kids at this stage is considered as very delicate and parents must do it with utmost precautions.
As the newborn phase is over, the child starts developing physically and mentally. By this time, the baby starts recognizing basic things and stares at faces and bright colors instead of random things. The baby also mutters vowels in order to say the things which he/she hears. Given below are tips that can be followed to take care of the infant :
- During the infant child care phase, the baby learns different things and becomes open to the world. As a parent, one’s primary objective should be ensuring proper supply of nutrition in the form of balanced diet. This is the phase when the growth of child catches noticeable speed. As a result, diet of the infant increases. That is why it is important to feed the infant with proper and balanced nutrition.
- The sleeping routine also plays a crucial role. The baby must be subjected to a 2-hour nap in the day and 12-14 hour sleep at night. Once, the sleep cycle is stable, the baby automatically follows it and settles in bed very easily. A healthy sleep cycle is also important because of the rapid functioning of the brain during this phase.
- Parents must ensure a proper environment for the baby to play. The infant should be taught to repeat the words partially. He should be taught how to sit (initially with external support) and various other things such as gripping different objects and recognizing things. All this helps in the proper mental development of a child.
- With the increasing age of your baby, you can gradually start bottle-feeding the child and introduce cow’s milk once the baby refuses mother’s milk or the mother burns out. Feed the infant every 3-4 hours with small quantities of milk.
- Avoid using baby wipes and clean baby’s butt with a wet cloth. Using baby wipes might hurt in some cases where the baby has sensitive skin and bums.
- There is no need for shoes until your little one learns to walk. Socks are necessary but not shoes.
- Experts suggest introducing the infant to soft music to make him/her relaxed and divert the mind. Music can also be used to make the baby asleep because an infant starts to listening sound patterns and likes them.Even though feeding and protection against diseases are very important for an infant, parents should teach the infant some basic vocabulary. It’s fine if the infant cannot say the words, but at least he/she can understand them. By the age of two years, an average child’s vocabulary reaches around 200 words.
Taking care of a newborn is completely different from a slightly older baby. But in both the cases, care is an essential factor which influences the development of the child. Proper care not only prevents the infant from diseases and keeps the little one fit but it also lays a strong foundation for future growth of the child.